Jan 14, 2010

I am a recycler


Hello, this is my first post.
    I am a recycler.
My grandma in Lincolnshire used to make rag rugs, (which we always called "snip" rugs),  always having one on the go.  It provided a good use for all the old clothes which were too worn for anyone else to use. Coats and jackets especially.
      I am at present making a rag rug out of old clothes, pieces of waste fabric etc.  Woollen or mostly woollen material is always best to use.    The rugs last for years and are attractive and warm. You can make them on a backing of hessian (old washed sacks) or on modern rug canvas.  You need a proddie/clippie tool which can be purchased new.
      Traditionally I was told the centre of the rug should be of a reddish colour to signify the "hearth".

No comments:

Post a Comment